Filed under Features

Yami Kawaii: A Fashion Tale Left Untold

A fashion style that shows empowerment.

KawaiiGoods

KawaiiGoods

Yami Kawaii is a new fashion trend that has been surfacing in Harajuku, Japan.

It may sound cute, but beware: Yami Kawaii has a much more darker side to it. Having the definition of sickness, Yami Kawaii is a way for people who suffer from mental illness to express the way that they feel through their clothing. 

In fact, this trend hides all of those symbols through the pastel colors and cute characters and phrases that they use. Pastel colors such as pinks, blues, and purples are among the most popular ones. Kawaii characters with big eyes, cartoon features, and gore are also among some of the greater trends.

TrendyNickel

If you are feeling a bit more daring, accessories are also available for you to add to your outfit such as shots, chokers with spikes on them, or even a rope around your neck.

Even though these things are pretty dark, they need to be talked about. In Japan, if you suffer from a mental health disorder, you are seen as weak. People do not want you to stand out or be different. They just want you to be like everyone else. That is where this style steps in to change that.

Yami Kawaii is a style that is trying to bring more awareness to mental health. Followers of the Yami Kawaii fashion trend are trying to break the boundary. They are standing out not only to show their empowerment, but also to express how they are actually feeling.

They are tired of keeping quiet and want to finally show their real selves. 

Freshman Jessica Avila said, “I’ve never even heard of it until now, but I like the colors. It’s cute.”

When asked if she would wear it, she responded by saying, “I wouldn’t, just because I am not one to wear that type of clothing”.

Freshman Marvin Marin said, “I like that it attracts some attention by just looking at it, and I like the way they are designed as well.”

Avila and Marin, just like many other people, do not fully understand what Yami Kawaii is, since it is a style that began in Japan.

If you want to learn more about the topic, look up videos on YouTube and pictures on Instagram of the trend.

Who knows what the future holds in store for Yami Kawaii; it may be forgotten or it may not. As time progresses, only then will we know, but, for now, this peculiar act of empowerment is making a major change in Harajuku, Japan.

About the Writer
Laura Sanchez Zavala, Cub Reporter
I enjoy long walks to the fridge at midnight. Also, I like watching scary videos that keep me up at night.
  • Yami Kawaii: A Fashion Tale Left Untold

Features

War of Words

Features

The Power of the Digital Footprint

• Features

Photo Essay: Welcome Back Mavericks Assembly

Features

5 Minutes with New Teachers

Features

Athletes in Autumn

Features

Wise Words and a Thank You from The Class of 2018

Features

Living in Two Different Worlds

Features

Go; Live in the Moment

Features

Say My Name

Features

A New Beginning