AP World History

“Old Globe” by Kenneth Lu on flickr licensed under CC BY 2.0

Donovan Brooks, Staff Writer

AP World History covers the history of Earth from approximately 8000 B.C.E. to the present. The course focuses on significant events, individuals, developments, and processes in six historical periods.

Given the course’s immense amount of content, there is a lot of work that must be done for this class.

Ms. Pankonen, the AP World History teacher, says they “normally do about a chapter a week.”
The chapters are 30-40 pages long, though the book’s pages are shorter than an average textbook’s pages. Students take notes on each chapter, but there is a template that allows them to do so in an easy way. At the end of every chapter the students complete questions about a selection of documents including paintings, artworks, and law documents. There are usually 40 questions for these documents. 

Additionally, there is a National History Day Project that takes up the entirety of first semester.

“Most of everything else is done in class,” says Pankonen, “we do essays, group activities, debates, role-playing activities, we make posters, stuff like that.”

Pankonen says the work not finished in class is due for homework, but there is no extra homework assigned aside from the reading and documents.

Ms. Pankonen suggests, “They may have to give up life’s distractions, like video games, facebook, because they need to focus on the class. It’s a lot of work, and when there’s a lot of work in one class, it piles up in other classes, and that’s where students fall behind.”