AP Physics 1

“physics” by Hash Milhan on flicker licensed under CC BY 2.0

Angel Nunez, Staff Writer

AP Physics 1 is “an algebra-based introductory college-level physics course.”  It is normally the first AP Physics class most students take.

Students will be studying various topics such as “Newtonian mechanics (including rotational motion); work, energy, and power; mechanical waves and sound; and introductory, simple circuits.” 

One common misconception is that if a student excels in math, they will also be successful in Physics. Many would be surprised to find out that this not always the case.

“You really can’t go anywhere if you don’t understand the concepts,” one student said. “If you don’t know what you’re looking for, you can’t do anything about it, even if you’re pretty great at math. That’s why you should really pay attention in class.” 

The math students should know for this class is basic algebra and formula manipulation. After that, it gets “really easy and the only thing you should focus on is the concepts.”

A crucial part of any science class is the labs students participate in.

“We do a lot of labs on the computers in physics,” a current junior stated. “I sometimes don’t understand a concept real well, but a lab let’s me see it happen right in front of me and I understand it a little better.

Many students agree that AP Physics can be either hard or easy, depending on the person. “It’s all how you look at it and tackle the work,” another junior stated.