Music for the People: Valentine’s Day

Music for the People: Valentine’s Day

Dine Alone, Vagrant, Shock

February is a month filled with love, couples, and happiness. But, if you’re lonely and have no one to celebrate with, Valentine’s Day isn’t as much fun. When all you’re hearing is, “I love you” and kissing noises in the hallway, sometimes plugging in your headphones and listening to sappy love songs because you’re lovesick is the best thing you can come up with to get through the day.

This month’s Spotify playlist is filled with indie, rock, 80s pop, folk, and surf-rock happy-love-vibes to sooth your sad, lovelorned soul. The mix of major and minor melodies will bring out emotions regardless of relationship status.

When you think of Valentine’s Day, most people don’t think about breakups, but in reality breakups over this holiday happen often. This Valentine’s mix features multiple breakup songs for those with broken hearts.

Sophomore Perla Aguilar suggested “Francis Forever” by Mitski.

“It’s a nice song,” said Aguilar. “The song is about, like, crying over an ex.”

The chorus describes the main issue in the song. “I don’t need the world to see that I’ve been the best I can be.” The artist is torn between self-produced confidence and confidence that is dependant on her ex-lover.

Another song that deserves more recognition is “I Love You So” by The Walters. With the upbeat melodies and faster tempo, one would think it’s a happy love anthem where the singer just “loves them so.” Analyzing the lyrics, however, it is the complete opposite. This song is actually about loving an unfaithful companion, and finally realizing that she isn’t right for him, and finally ending the relationship.

To add to the long list of melancholic love songs, junior Myah Walker recommended an acoustic song called “This Is Home” by Cavetown. This song was unfortunately unavailable on Spotify. However, the remix of it called “Cut My Hair” by Mounika can be found on the playlist.

“I like the overall message of [‘This Is Home’],” said Walker. “The song kind of comes from an outsider point of view, and that’s kind of where I’m at.”

And FINALLY! The cheerful and happy love songs.

As someone who actually celebrates Valentine’s Day with their significant other, sophomore Natalia Facio suggested the song, “I’m So in Love with You” by Jill Andrews feat. Seth Avett. This song explores the uncontrollable love one feels towards another through lyrical verses and delicate instrumentals.

“I relate to what she is saying when it comes to my own relationship,” said Facio.

The repetition of the lyric, “I’m so in love with you,” shows just how much love someone is trying to convey.

Another jovial love song that should be much more appreciated is “I Will” by The Beatles. Paul McCartney sings about his future soulmate. His true love who is a lost fish in the sea is explained in the verse, “For if I ever saw you, I didn’t catch your name. But it never really mattered, I will always feel the same.” The importance of respect and recognition of this song is because the lyrical Paul McCartney (and, of course, the Beatles) communicates love not to a former lover or current significant other, but to a future companion or soulmate.

The song “Lo Que Siento” by Cuco was suggested by sophomore Kevin Felix. This dreamy, lo-fi song is about someone who longs for another. Omar Banos (Cuco) sings about feeling “on top of the world” because he has found “the perfect girl.”

“[Cuco] uses a lot of synthesizers,” said Felix. “I also like that it’s a romantic song.”

The celestial-type synth instrumentals and Banos’ soft, melancholic voice put together produces a romantic dream of finding the one.

Another song that should definitely earn more exposure in the music-world here at A-TECH, is “The Girl” by City and Colour. Dallas Green wrote this song for his wife, Leah Miller, while he was on tour. The upbeat and gentle guitar brings out the softness in Green’s voice. With this voice, Green tells his wife he is faithful and thankful; he promises her that he will always love her. Doubt may cross Miller’s mind while Green is away on tour. He reassures her with the lyrics;

“While I’m off chasing my own dreams

Sailing around the world

Please know that I’m yours to keep

My beautiful girl.”

One of the more touching songs was suggested by freshman Madelyn Graham:

“One of my favorite Valentine’s Day/love songs is ‘Can’t Help Falling in Love’ by Elvis Presley.” said Graham. “It’s usually playing in [my] house, like on the radio, and it was also my parents’ wedding song.”

As the “sweetest” time of the year, “Can’t Help Falling in Love” is the perfect song to hear while walking down the aisle. But to take it down a notch (because we are all still in high school), it would also be the perfect song to sing to your partner as a gift for Valentine’s Day or to slow dance to.

“The emotional side of life is very important to everybody,” said Graham. “You can’t be soulless, you know?”

Being unhappy around Valentine’s Day is common, nevertheless we can all try to be happy; just listening to “Can’t Help Falling in Love” will put you in a better mood.

Finally, the appreciated “Yellow” by Coldplay. This song from Parachutes is one of Coldplay’s oldest and longest-lasting hit songs. Chris Martin of Coldplay admitted that the color “yellow” that is mentioned in the lyrics just rolled off of his tongue as he was writing it. The color yellow can symbolize warmth and happiness, especially in a relationship; this is what the song is about. The adoration spilled out in the lyrics is conveyed perfectly with acoustic instrumentals and Martin’s voice.

Together or not for Valentine’s Day, this mix of happy and sad will bring out emotions filled with love. If you are lonely, though, this playlist will give you the “chocolates” you deserve: sweet music to comfort you when you’re tearing up walking down the hallway.