Social Media and Its Consequences

Jasmine Babbitt

A student scrolls through their Instagram feed.

In this day and age, our teen lives look for almost any way to distract ourselves from the burden that is school or daily struggles. Many go to social media to relieve themselves, and when they are there, they come to see that their feed is flooded with posts all about a person’s life, whether they be good or bad.

Teachers and other adult figures have mixed opinions about social medias and what should be considered as “okay to post.”

“The amount of information on the internet is frightening,” said Health Education instructor Brenda Alapa. “Don’t ever post anything that you would not want your family, future employer or college to see. It also has an impact on your real life social skills. Anything that can directly tie you to your school or town [is what you should not post on social media].”

Joanna Bieda
Brenda Alapa, Health Instructor

Some students have personal experience with bad decisions on social media. Fortunately, many of our students know that making good decisions on social media can be a key factor in getting into a good college or when applying for jobs.

“I use social media everyday — every second of my life. I always have my phone in hand,” said freshman Fernanda Angulo. “I’m always wise about what I post. I don’t really post much. There always [are] consequences. If you don’t think about what you’re going to post there is always going to be a consequence [following] the action.”

Jasmine Babbitt
Fernanda Angulo, Freshman

“I’m usually on social media everyday. I look back at posts that I posted freshman year and I think, ’Wow, was I really that dumb?’” said senior Mitchell Otis. “I think a lot of stuff that you post can come back to affect you in the future. Colleges look at social media, jobs look at social media, so just expect anything you put out there to be accessed by everyone, everywhere.”

Kimberly Flores
Mitchell Otis, Senior

Some students also believe that there are other consequences when dealing with social media, such as posting something “shady” and then getting in trouble at your school for it.

“I use Snapchat everyday, then Instagram like five times a week. No, [I’ve never posted anything that I regret.] I’ve thrown a lot of shade on social media, but I don’t regret any of that,” said junior Kayhontia-TyZhon Hall. “Yes, [there are consequences for messing around on social media.] Everyone gets butthurt easily, so, like, people can rat on you [for certain posts].”

Kimberly Flores
Kayhontia-TyZhon Hall, Junior

Social media can aid you, or it can just lead you to a path of destruction depending on what kind of decisions you make on it.