Music for the People

Artist Partner

Album cover for ‘Voicenotes’ by Charlie Puth

Chosen by students, the Maverick Pulse Spotify playlist includes songs by Charlie Puth, the Arctic Monkeys, and even Taylor Swift. The prime time to listen to this playlist could be on your own or with friends. It also might help to take a break from homework or to discover new music that you have never heard before.

Sophomore Jazmyn Anderson selected the song “How Long” by Charlie Puth. “I like his voice and the beat of the song,” said Anderson.

Charlie Puth uses his voice to apologize to a girl because he was unfaithful to her. The faster, upbeat sound gives contrast between the lyrics and instrumentals.

Other artists that have been popular lately are Camila Cabello, Selena Gomez, and Sam Smith.

“I like slower rap songs like Frank Ocean,” said freshman Kyle Weinberger.

Ocean uses slow beats and his soft voice to convey his love life. “Thinking ‘Bout You” is a popular song released in 2012 on his album channel ORANGE. The slow rhythm portrays his love as sweet and tender even more than his lyrics.

A bit more on the alternative side, sophomore Shy Laurie chose “Old Yellow Bricks” by Arctic Monkeys.

“I really like the cool, alternative vibe that it has,” said Laurie.

The fast, upbeat tempo of “Old Yellow Bricks” will get you off your feet and dancing. The “cool, alternative vibe” of the song allows you to stretch your muscles after a long period of homework-doing.

The songs on this playlist were chosen by the students, for the students.