DECA at A-TECH

Estephanie Jimenez

DECA’s bulletin board

As the second month of school comes to an end, it is crucial that students planning to be a member of DECA, which meets the first and third Wednesdays of the month, pay their $25 fee by September 27.

“Competition registration is January 10th,” said Kimberly Styles, one of the advisers. “However, we need to get you registered as a member now, or you won’t be able to even get involved with the competition itself.”

Every year, DECA members compete in competitions concentrating on areas of marketing, management, and entrepreneurship.

“At state competition, they go in and take a test in their area of competing, and then they do a roleplay,” said Styles. “What a role play is — they can go in front of judges. They can either go in pairs or go single, and they are given a subject, and they have to go out and come up with a roleplay on how to solve that problem that they were given by the judge.”

The competitions give students many opportunities for scholarships.

“In DECA, also, you have a chance to apply for scholarships,” said Styles. “You have a better chance of getting scholarships, if you go to competition and you win, and depending on the area of studying, you can get up to 10,000 dollars in scholarships.”

The club itself can also offer students life skills that aren’t often taught in school.

“I believe that people should join DECA because it provides them the opportunity to not only learn about the different ways to run and to create a business or product but to learn valuable leadership and professional skills that can’t be taught in a traditional classroom,” said Emilie Luong, President of A-TECH’s DECA club.

As students get more involved in the club, they are able to properly prepare for the future outside of high school.

“These skills come in to play when presenting a speech or when commanding a group during a project,” stated Luong. “Also, for those interviewing for jobs and volunteer opportunities, DECA provides skills that expose you early on so that you’re able to ace these interviews and nail the job or scholarships.”

Although DECA is associated with business, anyone is welcomed to join the club regardless of their major.

“You can be involved in as many clubs as you want,” said Styles, “There are no special requirements in joining DECA.”

In fact, there are students currently in the club that do not have business as their major.

“I joined DECA because I wanted to be more involved with the school,” said freshman DECA member Dixzell Mae Baculao. “Plus, I wanted to learn more about business and marketing. It is a great way for me to experience activities related to it. With DECA, I expect to be trained and educated more about business even when I’m not in the business program.”

There are many plans in store for DECA.

“I plan to restore A-TECH DECA to its prime once again, sweeping competition and even earning one of the most distinguished awards,” said Emilie. “I also hope to expose DECA more and increase membership as it has dwindled over the years.”

With all the pressures of competition, winning would be the goal, but having fun is just as important to the club.

“You can have fun,” said Styles. “We’re gonna not only just compete. We’re going to do community service. We’re going to have fun throughout the year.”