The student news site of Advanced Technologies Academy

Filed under Opinion

Mechanical or Wooden?

A mechanical pencil and a wooden pencil (Allison Clark)

There is a lot of diversity at A-TECH: race, ethnicity, sexuality, gender, and of course, type of pencil. Students use a lot of different pencils: some simplistic, some complicated. Which brings us to this: which pencil is the best pencil?

Mechanical Pencils

Most people use pencils in their daily life, and for a student, a pencil is like a phone; it is their life. You can’t survive in school without pencils (except for when the teacher wants you to use pens).

For many A-TECH students, it is most efficient to use the mechanical one.

“I think mechanical pencils are better,” said sophomore Emily Schweiger. “It won’t hurt my hand.”

A display of the various types of mechanical pencils (Wenxin Chen)

“There are different kind of leads, and you can get whatever pencil leads you want,” said sophomore Naomi Ramirez. “If you want a 0.5 for something lighter or drawing, you could get they pencil. If you want 0.7 for writing, you get a 0.7 pencil.”

“It’s a lot thicker than the regular pencil, so you can grip it better,” said sophomore Jennifer Gonzalez.

When you use a regular wooden pencil, you need to sharpen the pencil when it gets dull, so you need to bring a pencil sharpener to school. But, things happen. You may forget to bring a pencil sharpener, and there aren’t any sharpeners in your class. That day will become a nightmare for you.  

Also, when you use a regular wooden pencil, it will get short after a period of time, so you will need to throw it

A student writing with a mechanical pencil (Allison Clark)

away.

With a mechanical pencil, you do not need to worry about pencil sharpeners or the pencil getting too short. All you need to do is buy a mechanical pencil and refill it with lead, and you can use in for your rest of your life until you break it or lose it.

Wooden Pencils

However, many students prefer wooden pencils to mechanical pencils.

If it gets dull, you can use a pencil sharpener, and you always know when you’re going to run out of lead.

In addition, mechanical pencils are hard to get used to. They feel weird after you transition, your grip isn’t right, and you always end up breaking the lead or running out of lead too fast.

Writing done with a wooden pencil (Allison Clark)

“I never got used to mechanical pencils,” said sophomore Sean Im.

You will always find yourself running out of lead. This leaves you with no pencil!

“Mechanical pencils just kind of break,” said sophomore Alex Fitting.

Wooden pencils are straightforward. They are much easier to use. Sure, mechanical pencils are fancy and seem cool, but in reality, they are near impossible to work. They don’t make as much sense, especially the complicated ones. There is not much of a difference with wooden pencils, so you can’t get confused.

You also have to take into account the cost of mechanical pencils. If you don’t have much money, wooden pencils are your best bet.

There is a pencil sharpener in almost every classroom, which can be used for free, but new lead for a mechanical pencil can cost a lot of money.

• Opinion

Tea Time! – A Review of K-On!

• Mechanical or Wooden?

Opinion

Who Would Hire a Teenager? Getting a Job in the Tech Industry as a High Schooler.

• Opinion

Lipstick Shades Review: The Pink and Red Palette

• Opinion

America’s Culture of Nostalgia

• Mechanical or Wooden?

Opinion

Flyest of the Fries

• Mechanical or Wooden?

A&E

What We’ve Been Waiting For

• Mechanical or Wooden?

A&E

Counterpoint to “Why Netflix Just Lost My Subscription”

• Mechanical or Wooden?

A&E

Why Netflix Just Lost My Subscription

• Mechanical or Wooden?

A&E

BTS Making History

• Mechanical or Wooden?

A&E

Harry Styles New Album Review