Chromebook’s New Competitor: Windows

Michael Castaneda, Cub Reporter

On the left of the fighting ring, we have the iconic laptop that people love to hate, Apple’s MacBook Air. On the right side of the ring we have the brand-new contender, the underdog, feared among many: the upcoming Microsoft Surface Laptop. Microsoft’s new device in its line of well-received surface computers is just like its predecessors, but with a twist: it’s made with students in mind, not professionals.

Starting at $999, the Surface Laptop was made to compete with the laptops in the current market to target students, with its inexpensive price tag and new operating system, Windows 10 S, made to be secure and fast by only allowing programs to be downloaded from the Windows Store. Along with it’s relatively high price, the laptop sports an Alcantara, a fabric, keyboard, and a display that can be used with a stylus. However, some people argue that this is too hefty of a price tag to compete with cheaper laptops for students.

“A thousand dollars?” said Jaki Delaney, an A-TECH sophomore “no student in their right mind would be able to buy that with their own money.”

In addition, this new laptop will come with a stripped-down version Windows 10 called Windows 10 S. Windows 10 S is the same as Windows 10, but applications may only be downloaded from the Windows Store, and the default browser is Microsoft Edge and cannot be changed. While there are less applications that may contain less things that can harm your computer like viruses, this does not ensure that your laptop will necessarily be 100% secure.

“Yea for $1000, and only being able to install things from a certain place isn’t worth it. What if the thing you install from the Windows Store contains a virus? I bet there aren’t very many options for an anti-virus there too.” said Brandon Rodriguez, an A-TECH junior.

Despite all this, Microsoft still plans to use this laptop as a stepping stone to one day compete with the current classroom giant, the Chromebook. With its relatively inexpensive price compared to Microsoft’s other computers (all costing thousands of dollars) and limited operating system, Windows 10 S, like Chromebook’s operating system, Microsoft hopes to roll out its surface series of computers into the classroom to become the new standard.

“Having a stylus to use with the computer? That would be cool, being able to draw on it and stuff. It’s definitely a step up from the Chromebooks we use,” says A-TECH Freshmen, Julie Dubin “even though it sounds really expensive, I hope it ends up happening one day.”