5 Books You Need to Read

Estephanie Jimenez, Editor

Reading is not just a hobby, it’s so much more and if you’re a book obsessed nerd like me you’ll be constantly on the hunt to find the next thrilling, earth-shattering novel that you can get your hands on. However, after reading so many books, over time it can get a bit hard to find a book that exceeds your hunger and expectations. Have no fear the Maverick Pulse has your back!

Here are 5 books you NEED to read

1.The Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard

The best way to describe Red Queen is basically to say that it’s X-men meeting hunger games. The story takes place in a dystopian society where the entire world is divided into two parts, those with red blood and those with silver blood. Those who contain silver blood have powers like those in X-men and those with red are ordinary people or at least they’re supposed to be. Mare is the exception to this. After a freak accident that was supposed to leave Mare dead she discovers that although she has red blood she has the power of a silver, perhaps even more at that. This novel will leave you shocked and turning the page towards the very end.

2. Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

Shatter is another story that takes place in a dystopian society where the world is controlled by a single group of people. In this society there is a girl named Juliette that has been placed in an asylum for those who aren’t right in the head. However, the thing is Juliette isn’t crazy deadly and yet she’s not crazy. You see the thing is she was placed in that asylum because a touch of her skin onto others can cause pain and death. As you read the story you’ll be on a journey discovering Juliette’s past that meets her present.

3. The Tea Rose by Jennifer Donnelly

The Tea Rose is a historical fiction novel that takes place around the late 1800’s in the slums of London. Honestly the Tea Rose is a novel WORTH your time it. The story has three aspects (that in my opinion make a great spicy novel) like revenge, romance, and death. Oh ya, the tea rose certainly has death. The main character Fiona loses everything she holds dear in a short span of time. It is during this time that she is forced to flee the country for her own safety, however, she promises to return with vengeance towards the one person who took everything from her. The Tea Rose is a page turner.

4. Me Before You by Jojo Moyes

Me Before You, as many have noticed is now a major movie that came out last year.  As many other books have been made into movies, the book itself is better that the movie. It is about love and sadly has an ending that isn’t your average happy ending. The novel is one that focuses mainly on the romantic aspects more than anything else. It will leave you in tears.

5.  Evermore by Alyson Noë

Evermore is a story about immortality, not vampires, but immortality. Ever since the tragic day that left her both without parents and a sister Ever can see auras. She is able to see everyone’s mood and with a single touch a person’s story. However, one day as the new guy Damon walks into her high school there is one particular thing that she notices about him, he doesn’t have an aura. Damon is the only exception to this ever since the accident. As the story continues you will soon find out why. There’s a mystery to be solved and a crazy ex to get rid of in Evermore.