Nobody Thinks of Sports When They Think of A-TECH

Photograph by Allison Clark.

Allison Clark, Cub Reporter

Advanced Technologies Academy is known for it’s academics. When they think of A-TECH, they think of nerds. They think of students taking 5 AP classes. They think of students with 4 hours of homework. They never think of athletes.

But the truth is there are athletes at A-TECH, students who have to balance the life of sports and school. Here are their stories.

Christopher Hughes, Lacrosse #48:

Chris is a JV defensive Lacrosse player at Green Valley high school, and he absolutely loves it.

“My favorite thing is that feeling right after you win a game, or lose, and your team is there to help pick up the pieces or shake the refs hand and the other coaches hand, because you know you played a great game.”

And Chris has played many great games: His team hasn’t lost a game yet!

“We’ve been undefeated for the last six games,” Chris says, “ It feels good to win.”

But still, Chris has been playing for four years, how did he discover Lacrosse?

“My grandpa used to play when he was younger at UMBC, and he gave us sticks for my brothers and my 6th and 8th birthdays, and from there the love for it got bigger until I said ‘let me play’” Chris said about how he got into LaCrosse.

Chris Hughes, circled in pink, playing Lacrosse against Canyon Springs high school. (Photo taken by Allison Clark.)

And now, Chris wants to attend UMBC (University of Maryland Baltimore County) to play Lacrosse like his grandpa did.

“UMBC is one of the main schools that supports Lacrosse,” Chris says, “And it’s one of the better schools to go to since it’s a lesser known school.”

Chris’s intentions to follow in his grandfather’s footsteps clearly show that he loves lacrosse, and the love keeps growing every time he picks up his stick.

Shaskia Garcia, Track, Softball, Flag football #20:

Shaskia Garcia plays a lot of sports, including track, softball, and flag football. By far, football is her favorite.

“It’s just a really exciting experience,” she says, “Something not everyone is used to.”

But this exciting experience makes it difficult with the A-TECH workload. Shaskia says she gets home really late and still has to do her homework.

“I would get home really late from my games and then I would have to sit and do my homework, and I would fall asleep because I would just be so tired.”  

However, students like Shaskia adapt, they manage the difficulties of being an A-TECH student and the time-consuming task of student athletics.

Shaskia Garcia posing for a photo with her teammates and coaches. (Photo taken by Shaskia Monteagudo.)

“I decided to tell my coach I could only make it at a certain time, and do some of my work before I went to practice,” Shaskia says, “I would make sure to get all my work done as soon as possible.”

But wouldn’t it be easier to go to her zone school and just play there?

Shaskia had a choice: make it easier on herself by attending Vegas High School, or get the best education by coming to the best school. She could play sports either way.
“I thought that my education goes first,” She says, “I decided to come to the best school.”

Immanuel Joseph, Track, Soccer #1:

Immanuel Joseph has been playing track and soccer for the past four years. He does track for bonanza and soccer for A-TECH soccer club.

His favorite things about playing are, like most people, winning and his teammates, who have become his friends. A lot of enjoyment comes from being a student athlete.

However, that doesn’t make it any less difficult. There is still work from school to do, and a lot of practice is needed to be good.

“Being a student athlete is fun but tough,” Immanuel says.

He came to A-TECH because of the amazing engineering program, and has had a lot of work on top of participating in sports.

“It is tough to handle the workload,” He says, “but I learned to balance it out.”

Even though being an A-TECH student and a student athlete is hard work, it is also very helpful. It relieves stress and gets energy out.

Since being an athlete is helpful, should other students be athletes as well? Immanuel thinks so.

“I would encourage other students to be student athletes.” Immanuel says, “It is beneficial for them.”

That’s true. Athletes learn teamwork, commitment, responsibility, and time management all by doing something they love.

So yes, it is extremely beneficial to be a student athlete.

Mara Lee, Volleyball #4:

Mara Lee plays volleyball for national youth sports, and for her it is a lot to balance.

“I have eight classes, and get homework from just about everyone of them,” Mara says, “It’s hard to manage all of my time with homework and go to practice.”

Not only does Mara play volleyball and go to an extremely difficult magnet high school with loads of homework, she also plays violin. She’s in the Las Vegas Youth Orchestra and is in orchestra at A-TECH.

So how does Mara manage all of her homework on top of violin, and still be able to enjoy volleyball?

“I set aside certain days for certain amounts of homework.” Mara says.

Even if it might be easier to stop playing volleyball and focus on school, Mara really enjoys playing, so she couldn’t just stop.

“I found a big interest in it” She says, “I get to cooperate with a team and meet new people.”

Plus, Mara says that playing volleyball actually helps her with school.

“It helps me relieve my stress from classes.” Mara says.

Mara Lee posing for a photo with teammates. (Photo taken by Makayla Shelton)

An activity where someone can have fun and relieve stress from school? Who wouldn’t want that?

Also, how would someone find this kind of hobby? Would they have to search for it?

For some, it’s easier to come across something like this like if a family member participates.

“My cousin actually plays, and she taught me some stuff,” Mara says

However, others might not have a cousin who does a sport, so how would they get involved?

Well, they could always join a sports club, or look into sports at their zone school. The possibilities are endless!

Mara certainly does a lot, volleyball, violin and school. She learns to manage all her time to do things that she enjoys. Anybody can do it!

Lindsay Perea, Archery:

Lindsay does archery at Impact Archery, a club outside of school that she goes to on Mondays and Thursdays.

“It’s a fun sport, it doesn’t require much physical work!” Lindsay says.

Well, that’s a relief. But it does require some things, like math.

“You have to calculate where the arrows go.” Lindsay says.

So how exactly is archery fun? It’s not an intense sport, and it requires math. Is it really worth all the time and effort that Lindsay puts in?

“It’s not rewarding for some people but,” Lindsay says, “I liked it so I joined a team.”

Although archery isn’t for everybody, Lindsay likes it because of the rush of power she feels whenever she pulls back the string of her bow.

Lindsay Perea aiming her bow and arrow. (Photo taken by Marci Perea)

“I can feel powerful pulling the bow back,” She says, “that’s my favorite part.”

Lindsay likes it so much that she plans to continue doing archery, and even go into competition.

“I’m going to compete,” Lindsay says, “It’s just that I haven’t got to that level yet.”

However, Lindsay is getting there. She shoots ten rounds with three arrows each when she goes, and she’s on five out of ten rounds.

“It’s all about strategy and muscles,”she says.

How did Lindsay get into the sport she likes so much? It isn’t as complicated as it might appear.

“It was just something we saw driving by and we tried it once and I liked it,” Lindsay says.

Even though archery might not seem like the most exciting sport, students like Lindsay like it, so what’s stopping other students from liking it too?

After all, archery doesn’t require much physical work, gives the archer a sense of power, and there’s competing against other archers.

“It’s fun,” Lindsay says, “Sports are healthy!”

Oh yeah, that too.

Overtime:

Although it might not seem like it, there are athletes at A-TECH, who play a variety of  interesting sports. These students have to juggle the workload of school and sports, and maybe even some other things. So next time they think of A-TECH what will they think? Maybe they will they think of nerds. Maybe they will they think of AP classes. Maybe they will they think of four hours of homework.

Maybe they will think of athletes.