Open Letter: Sailor Moon

Estephanie Jimenez, Editor

Dear Sailor Moon

You bring me a sweet nostalgia. I can easily recall the times when I was in elementary school and intentionally pushed my homework aside to a later time just so I would be able to watch your show. Heck, if my grades had to suffer I would gladly allow it to be so. It was the air I breathed and and the theme song was a moral code that would shape the way I viewed myself later on when I struggled with my identity as a human being. “Fighting evil by moonlight, winning love by daylight never running from a real fight.”

As I look back on the lyrics, no longer as a seven year old girl but as a teenager in her sophomore year of highschool, I can clearly see the way I mistook the song. I used to think the song was just that, a song, but now it means so much more to me. Fighting evil by moonlight means to me that even though I will face obstacles in my life that I may not see coming towards me there will always be a light that will guide me towards happiness. When the sun sets and the darkness rises, the moon will always reflect some sort of light so there never really is true darkness just a small absence of light in some places.

The light for you Sailor Moon was your loved ones. Your friends. No matter how much darkness/struggle you were in you always seemed to harness your strength from them and they were your reason to keep on contending. I delight in the solid fact that you, Sailor Moon, were my lightness in the dark. Whenever I was sad or afraid all I had to do was watch one episode of your show and all of my worries would instantly evaporate into thin air.

“Winning love by daylight” taught me that we can appreciate love better when we have a clear mind and a focused view of it. For example, during the day when you see a beautiful view you never want to change the scenery and you start to form a desire to learn more about the plants. It is the same way with love. When you see by the light, that is when you win the true love. We win love by seeing each other for who we are.

“Never running for a real fight” taught me strength. As I had the privilege to witness your character development Sailor Moon, I took into account that I did not always need a man to save me. Although yes, Tuxedo Mask did save you on multiple occasions, you as well saved him. In fact, you were always saving others even when they had harmed you. I learned that a real fight does not necessarily mean that there has to be an exchange of blows. A real fight comes from within when you have the choice to become a better and bigger person than your enemies. It means learning to have compassion on those who have hurt you the most. So thank you, Sailor Moon, for being such an integral part of who I am to this day.