Filed under Features

Carlos Sanchez: State Champion Athlete

Carlos Sanchez: State Champion Athlete

Courtesy Carlos Sanchez

Courtesy Carlos Sanchez

Courtesy Carlos Sanchez

Junior Carlos Sanchez never expected to become a state champion, a dream he always wanted to accomplish, but now he is a state champion of soccer in the state of Nevada.

“I’ve always just remembered my life as soccer, school, and family,” said Sanchez. “Other than that, there hasn’t been much going on within my life.”

In the fall of his junior year, Sanchez and his zoned high school team, the Las Vegas Wildcats, were able to achieve a record of 20-1-1 for the season. The Wildcats then went into playoffs, beating multiple teams and ultimately beating Coronado to win the 4A State Championship.

“At first, it was very surreal, and it was almost like I was living a dream,” said Sanchez. “During the playoffs, I knew we were able to go far, but winning state is always something big and dreamy to happen.”

Sanchez passing the ball in a game against Cimarron | Courtesy Carlos Sanchez

Sanchez plays forward for the Las Vegas Wildcats and continues to work on his skills and physique during his free times, but, as a student athlete, time management is something very hard to manage.

“As an athlete, you have a second family with your team. Creating those bonds makes you overall a better person mentally and physically,” said Sanchez. “Soccer and my team is almost my motivation to do good in school.”

There are many in sports teams who fight just to keep eligibility to stay on the team, while there are those who need to maintain great grades for the athletic scholarships that they want to achieve.

“Winning state was one of my dreams to come to reality. Another one of my dreams would to be able to go to college for free because of my athletic ability and still be able to play the sport that I love,” said Sanchez.

Many student athletes do not have school as their first priority. However, during his freshman year, Sanchez was able to obtain a 3.8 GPA, while, during his sophomore year, he obtained a 3.6 GPA.

“Most of the time you are surrounded with kids who don’t put all their effort into school, and that grows on you,” said Sanchez. “When I start to slack and my grades begin to drop, I think about the opportunities I have with an athletic scholarship and what it can do for me.”

This is Sanchez’s third year at A-TECH, and he is in multiple Advanced Placement and honors classes, making the workload even harder. Even with all the distractions, Sanchez has been so far able to succeed in his first three years of high school.

“Being a student athlete makes me feel like I am different from people here at A-TECH, but that doesn’t give me an excuse because I chose this path for myself, and it will only benefit in the future, making me better and educated while also still doing what I love.”

About the Writer
Scott Wolkenhauer, Cub Reporter

I’m a student athlete and I play football, I wrestle, and I run track. Some things I like are sports, video games, and anime. My hopes are to excel in...

• Carlos Sanchez: State Champion Athlete

Features

CCSD Celebrates the First Year of the New Gender Diversity Policy

Features

Being the Smart Kid

Features

A Non-Clinical Brand

Features

Thoughts on Endgame

Features

One Man Band

Features

From the Military Base to the Classroom: A Story of Kelly Charles

Features

Are You The Back-Up Friend? (Part 2)

Features

2019 NASC State Conference

Features

Problems High School Students Face Today

Features

Firestone’s on Fire