Filed under Student Life

Conquering Your Complex

Conquering Your Complex

Evelyn Choi relaxes in her throwback outfit from the first day of school

Keana-Leoni Balalio

Keana-Leoni Balalio

Keana-Leoni Balalio

Picture your favorite activity; something which acts as your safe place for the days when you are sad or stressed. Now imagine not feeling able to do this. You no longer have the determination to pursue the action. You’ve lost your safe place. This hypothetical situation was sophomore Evelyn Choi’s unfortunate reality last year.

“I went through a pretty dark time in my life, and it really killed my motivation to do art,” said Choi.

Her obstacle developed from a set of circumstances which, in turn, began to grow more problematic in her mind. Similar to other people, she dealt with this issue for a prolonged amount of time and didn’t know how to overcome it, so it became increasingly more detrimental.

She said, “There was a lot of things that I really wanted to do, but, because I was so overwhelmed by whatever problem I was handling last year, it was so overwhelming, and I couldn’t feel any motivation to art again.”

Her motivation had been drained as her mental health was manipulated by someone she believed to be a friend.

“[They were] bringing my mental health down and most other people around [them]. It’s just like, ‘Wow, no wonder [others] decided to move on from you,’ and that’s exactly what I did: I moved on from [them] too,” Choi said.

She came to realize how different life was without a harsh mental demand from another and has been working her way out of the void that grew during last year. It’s hard to imagine someone taking such an intense toll on a vivacious, kind-hearted being like Choi.

She is rarely seen without a smile on her face, and she tries her best to greet everyone in the halls, even when she’s in her own little world. Without seeing her, you can recognize her from spouts of contagious laugh or screeches of excitement. Choi projects positivity to the world, even when the world surrounds her with negativity. She now knows who her true friends are and where real loyalties lie.

“When I was alone, I realized how I did not need that person in my life and how it was better for me to move on. I’ve been growing, and I’ve met better people, and I keep having the support of my old friends,” she said.

One of those old friends that make up part of her support system is Cassie Garcelon who she has known since they met in a middle school English class.

Garcelon said, “She hasn’t changed much, you know, for anyone, and she’s, generally, super positive.”

Early in life, Choi faced a severe low, one that was partially about her mentality. Help from faithful friends was necessary to get her back on her feet. Luckily enough, she managed to bounce back and is growing as a beacon of enthusiasm, warding off pessimistic feelings.

About the Contributor
Keana-Leoni Balalio, Cub Reporter

The glass is half-full and half-empty. I'm just living a life, trying not to get killed... or worse… expelled.

• Conquering Your Complex

Features

One Man Band

• Conquering Your Complex

Playlists

April 2019 Playlist

• Conquering Your Complex

Humor

The Right Way to Procrastinate

• Features

Athletes at A-TECH: Autumn Wrap-Up

• Conquering Your Complex

Features

A-TECH Halloween Costumes

• News

Oasis at A-TECH

• Conquering Your Complex

Features

Scholarships in Their Natural Habitat

• Conquering Your Complex

Features

Quack if You Want $2,000

• Conquering Your Complex

Student Life

Get a Head Start on College Applications

• Conquering Your Complex

Student Life

How to Survive Junior Year