Filed under Features

Article 13 In the E.U.

法轮功真相

In this time (especially for teens and young adults), memes are mostly the main source of humor and part of our culture (a few would say). Few people who live in certain countries in Europe would now no longer feel normal due to article 13.

Article 13, in essence, is an internet poilcy put in place that would greatly limit how copyrighted content could be shared and reshared online.

Many online content creators can also be affected by Article 13, For example, Reddit and Instagram meme pages. Memes contain copyrighted content most of the time, subjecting them to front row seats to the Article 13 policy..

In Europe, that meme page would be censored and instead of the content creator, the platform (e.g. Reddit or Instagram) would be the one blamed for breaking the rule/law of Article 13.

Many online platforms, like YouTube, would have to place strict regulations to remove any content that shares copyrighted material from another creator without permission to do so.

Simply posting a video that contains copyrighted images or music, which YouTubers, like PewDiePie, would censor anything that’s copyrighted in their videos (e.g. blurring images).

Article 13 decides which online websites need to install upload filters and which ones don’t need to, which there is a huge number of websites that do need upload filters.

This can hurt smaller websites who can’t afford the needed filter required by the E.U.

This Article does allow parodies to be shared freely, which many agree that memes are considered parodies.

However, with the upload filter, it can’t tell if a meme is a parody or not, mostly due to copyrighted pictures used in them.

Memes then get caught in the crossfire of being filtered out.

Many citizens In the E.U. don’t agree with Article 13, in fact thousands showed up in the streets of Germany to protest against it.

People think that this article removes the freedom to share content freely, which makes Article 13 controversial.

To many of you A-TECH students who plan on making a small website (blog, online market, etc.) or even create content (videos, gameplay, music, etc.), this article would put strict regulations on you.

You would have to make sure you or anybody doesn’t publish any copyrighted content. Which you would have to invest in the time to make sure nothing is copyrighted. You would also invest in an upload filter to prevent copyrighted images to be published during the uploading process.

There will always be laws to help protect content, and it seems that Article 13 would be a cut and dry issue of freedom of speech. Still, in such an interconnected digital age, the lines get blurry when the time comes to say what belongs to whom.

About the Writer
Angel Acosta-Garcia, Cub Reporter

I’m a Freshman who is usually quiet and enjoys playing Animal Crossing, reading anything (but especially mysteries), and writing. I am also very active...

• Article 13 In the E.U.

Features

Freshmen Thoughts on the Odyssey Quest

• Article 13 In the E.U.

Features

Tips For Getting Noticed

• Article 13 In the E.U.

Features

Is Take Your Child To Work Day Really That Important?

• Article 13 In the E.U.

Features

Zappos Field Trip

• Article 13 In the E.U.

Features

R.I.P. AirPower

• Article 13 In the E.U.

Features

How to Get Your Homework Done: Tips from a Chronic Procrastinator

• Article 13 In the E.U.

Features

Tips for Young Authors #4: The Devil’s in What?

• Article 13 In the E.U.

Features

Senior Capstone Photo Essay

• Article 13 In the E.U.

Features

A-TECH Reacts: Egg Boy

• Article 13 In the E.U.

Features

The Nightmares of School