The Navy’s Visit to A-TECH

David & Val

Angel Acosta-Garcia, Cub Reporter

The Navy came to A-TECH to give students a chance to inform what they do and the career options they offer.

Engineering, IT, Cyber Security, and Computer Science classes were given the opportunity to go, however, only five students were allowed to attend.

Originally the Navy didn’t plan to come to A-TECH but to Veterans CTA.

“Veterans academy… actually suggested that they come to our school,” said said Sherry Moore college and careers specialist.

“Because, it was gonna be setup over here and they would have to break it down to go to another school, so they asked us if we would be willing to participate,” she added.

The purpose for the Navy’s visit was to give students a little experience of being in the Navy through a Virtual Reality game, hoping they could recruit students later on after graduation.

The Navy’s expectancy was meet. Freshman Jacob Calcaterra says, “first I want to join the Airforce, but after doing that, I might join the Navy”.

Most students did expected to participate, while others wasn’t sure due to the fact that only 500 students were able to participate.

Inside the trailer, the Navy brought, students participated in a virtual reality simulation.

Before the VR simulation, “[they] went to a screen and we watched a video, basically telling us what to expect,” said student Jacob Ryan.

After finishing the video explaining the mission, “we were sent into the room with the VR headsets and were told to put on the chest gear and the VR headsets,” said Freshman Miguel Rivera.

“Then after the game was done, you got your score, and then you left,” imputed Sophomore Piper Baack.

There was more reasons for why VR simulations.

“The purpose of that was really to engage them in a conversation about some of the careers that are offered through the armed services,” said Sherry Moore, college and career specialist.

Students were able to participate by signing a waiver. This was announced through teachers.

The Navy talked a little. “they didn’t talk a whole lot, the main thing was just what happen in the VR experience, showing…what to expect during a normal trip of being a Navy seal driver,” said Jacob Ryan.

Students were able to learn new things about the Navy from this event.

Miguel Rivera said “I was inform what our classes can do in relation to the Navy.”

Jacob Ryan was able to learn other things about the Navy. “I did learn a lot about different careers they offer in the navy as well as some things that they do in the Navy.”

The Navy came to A-TECH to wow students, and whether this was successful is soon to be seen.

About the Writer
Angel Acosta-Garcia, Cub Reporter

I’m a Freshman who is usually quiet and enjoys playing Animal Crossing, reading anything (but especially mysteries), and writing. I am also very active...

• The Navy’s Visit to A-TECH

News

Building Marble Sorters in Engineering

• The Navy’s Visit to A-TECH

News

Houston, We Have A Problem!

• The Navy’s Visit to A-TECH

News

University of Nevada Reno Visits Again!

• The Navy’s Visit to A-TECH

News

Trial in a Judge’s Court

• The Navy’s Visit to A-TECH

News

Online Registration for 2019-2020 Begins

• The Navy’s Visit to A-TECH

News

2019 NFL Draft Begins

• The Navy’s Visit to A-TECH

News

2019 NBA Playoffs Begin

• The Navy’s Visit to A-TECH

News

Bridge Club Wins First Place in National Contest

• The Navy’s Visit to A-TECH

News

Speech and Debate Moves to Nationals

• The Navy’s Visit to A-TECH

News

The Lion King Trailer is Out!