Filed under Features

Farewell Mr. Gearhart

Farewell Mr. Gearhart

It was a very interesting interview with Lucas Gearhart about his past experiences.

Why have you decided to leave A-TECH next year?

“To relocate so [my family and I] are closer to our family on the east coast. Most of our family members live in New York or New Hampshire or Kentucky, so we are the only ones in our life that live on this side of the country.”

How many years have you taught at A-TECH?

”Eleven.”

What is your next job?

“Same thing. Graphics 4, Art, or Drawing, either one of those. This year, it’s all Graphic design, but these other years I have taught half Art and Drawing [or] half Graphics.”

How was your experience teaching at A-TECH?

“It’s the best. I love the people I work with, the staff, the students that I work with, the administration is awesome, what I teach I enjoy. I can teach it the way I want, I feel supported by the technology. Especially now we just got new computers, [a] new printer; so pretty much everything I need to do the job and the students to produce what they need to do for their portfolios. We can do [this] with no problem.”

What are you going to miss?

“Pretty much everything I just listed off. The students, the staff, and overall it’s just a great school.”

What are some things you’re not going to miss?

“That’s a really hard question. I don’t know. You know when you hear people like they’re at a work and they are doing their jobs that they hate everyday? That’s the complete opposite for me. I don’t feel like I am at work some days because I am doing what I want to do.”

What inspired you to become a teacher?

“Being undeclared a little bit in college and I just found my way, like, in liking art and realizing I can teach it. Also, there were some really good teachers that I had in high school that inspired me too.”

When did you start drawing and singing? Why?

“That I just have been always drawing doodles when I was little, [like] drawing in journals. I really took art seriously in college. In high school, I would doodle on the side of the margins in my English papers, but I wasn’t creating any artwork piece[s] or anything. It wasn’t until college when I took 2 classes when I really applied myself too. Again it was in the early years. In elementary, middle school, and high school I have always been in the choir, and then in high school, I picked up the guitar. I feel like I am more of a singer / songwriter kind of person. I haven’t been in choir since high school, so I kinda left that behind. After high school, in the college years, I have actually played in a lot of different churches, from chapels on Fort Knox for the troops to just like open mic house places. I have been in open mics in New York, New Hampshire, and Kentucky.”

The Military?

“My dad was in the military place, so I have moved every 3 years of my life.”

How was it like?

“It was good. I mean, it was good until I was your age, then it sucks. You really make more meaningful friendships and it sucks to move away from your friends when you’re at that point, but there was more positive than negative [feelings and experiences] with it. I had to experience a lot of countries and cultures and just different environments growing up that a lot of people don’t get to experience. So, I lived in three different places in Germany and I lived in a whole handful of states [on] both sides of the country. [There was a] lot of different schools I went to [too]; probably close to ten [or] eleven different school districts, I think, I was enrolled in growing up. That kinda gave me a different perspective with the whole teaching career that I took because I experienced all kinds of different ways of schools doing different things.”

Why didn’t you start a career that was majoring in art or singing?

“I still do singing, I still play at the church. Both of those careers are both very creative and everything and I feel like I can still do that. However, they’re also highly competitive. I am not afraid of competition, it’s just I have 3 kids that I support and my wife. The concept [of] artist jobs like for a movie, they use you for certain things like projects, and [then] they’re like ‘hey we don’t need you anymore nothing personal, but we’re letting you go.’ That’s what happened to many professional, successful people in the industry. I like the stability of teaching. I also like the summers, so I can do my own personal art projects. I can still do music in my terms. I don’t have to be looking on my back and not worry about not being needed. The music industry is more competitive. It’s still part of my life, I still play. I treat it more than a hobby.”

What are some other hobbies?

“I hang out with my family. We go to the movies. We also go traveling. I like traveling, it’s always fun. My main life consists of family, art, graphics, and music. That’s pretty much it. I have gone forward into different kind of art forms and things, but they’re not my favorite kinds of things to do. I really like painting, oil painting, traditional, or digital painting. I started doing 3-D modeling. It’s kinda related, but it’s not exactly the same.”

Have you produced any music or published any paintings?

“I have a website with a bunch of artwork. I am hoping in the near future in putting together, I already have the work I just need to put it together. [I also] have all the stuff done for the e-book I have been working on. It will be like an art book. Music, I have done many recordings, [about] seven to eight songs that I have recorded. This was a long time ago. One part I am working on is the National Board Certification, as a handful of teachers are working at our school, and it is very time-consuming. A lot of 15 weekends [within] this school year alone.”

What is your favorite memory here?

“I have so many. I don’t know. I have done so much here. I used to teach Advanced Band once, and we had a whole concert and that was really cool. We had a bunch of art shows, which those were awesome. We put on the concerts for our guitar folks and Rock for Change. We had a lot of good moments in the classroom like, you know, just teaching. I think it was also cool when we had the Senior Cross-Curricular Project when we had a bunch of community members come in, and those were fun. There are too many memories to just say one.”

How was your experience of teaching Advanced Band for a year?

“Mr. Bert, he was the Assistant Principal at that time, he called me up a week before. He asked me ‘Hey! Yeah can you teach I know you have the guitar club, can you teach Advanced Band?’ I was like ‘what! I don’t know how to read music very well. I only know as the very basics. Like what everyone learns when they first start out.’ So, to know that and go to Advanced Band was really tough. I didn’t know all the instruments. I didn’t know like this baritone flute thing or something. I had to learn just as much or more as what the majority of the student[s] learned. It was a huge learning curve for me. The students were amazing. It was Advanced Band, everyone knew what to do. We started playing songs that they played last year to get the rhythm of it, and by the second week we were already playing the first song, and I was leading them, so that was pretty amazing.”

What was your dream job when you grew up?

“I didn’t really look to the future that much, so I didn’t know. Even in college, I was undeclared on what to do, so it’s okay if you don’t know.”

Did you work anywhere before coming to A-TECH?

“I went right from college to A-TECH. I did work at McDonald’s for 2 months, but I [had] not-so-caring managers at that McDonald’s, so I didn’t stay. This was in 11th grade in high school. In 12th grade, I worked at Kmart in the shoe department. Then in college, I worked at Fort Knox. I worked at the Rent-A-Car place, but for government vehicles. I would take vehicles in and issue them out. I did that for three summers. Part of my college, I went to two different schools and I worked there as a teacher, but I didn’t get money for it.”

What influence do you want to be towards students?

“Just follow your dreams. I would say don’t live with regrets. You get to do this one time, so just do something that makes you happy. As my kids get older, they only see their grandparents once a year or once every other year, but we want them to get them to know each other more. You know we don’t want to look back and say we don’t want to regret that. If you like a hobby, but you feel like you’re not good enough, I would just say to stick with it. When you stick with things, you learn more about that certain thing.”

Overall, I am glad that I had this wonderful experience to interview Gearhart because he had many interesting experiences and all the things he has gone through. We will miss you, Lucas Gearhart! We wish you the best of luck!

About the Writer
Ana-Maria Boboc, Cub Reporter

Ana is shorter version of Ana-Maria, but she’s definitely the opposite of short. She’s currently a freshman at Advanced Technologies Academy, and is...

• Farewell Mr. Gearhart

Features

CCSD Celebrates the First Year of the New Gender Diversity Policy

• Farewell Mr. Gearhart

Features

Being the Smart Kid

• Farewell Mr. Gearhart

Features

A Non-Clinical Brand

• Farewell Mr. Gearhart

Features

Thoughts on Endgame

• Farewell Mr. Gearhart

Features

One Man Band

• Farewell Mr. Gearhart

Features

From the Military Base to the Classroom: A Story of Kelly Charles

• Farewell Mr. Gearhart

Features

Are You The Back-Up Friend? (Part 2)

• Farewell Mr. Gearhart

Features

2019 NASC State Conference

• Farewell Mr. Gearhart

Features

Problems High School Students Face Today

• Farewell Mr. Gearhart

Features

Carlos Sanchez: State Champion Athlete