Filed under News

A Field Trip for Law… to the Morgue?

“It was actually a really interesting field trip. It definitely wasn’t your typical trip. I really learned a lot and had a cool experience,” said junior Shaskia Garcia, who recently went on a class field trip to the Clark County Coroner’s Office for her trial advocacy class.  

David Eason’s junior law class recently took a field trip to the coroner’s office on Thursday, February 28, 2019. With this trip lasting just about the whole day, the students left for the coroner’s office around 9:00 a.m. and arrived back at school around 1:00 p.m..

Now, if you don’t really know what a coroner’s office, or more commonly, a morgue, is, then here’s a little extra information. The coroner’s office is the place where a body is sent after death to be examined so that a cause of death can be pinpointed.

As law students, this part is essential in criminal cases. Court cases that involve a death need the coroner’s office to determine a cause of death because a lot of the time the cause of death is used to help solve these cases and, eventually, to sentence someone suspected of the crime.

During this trip, students were taught many different things, such as the jobs people have at the coroner’s office, the way the bodies are handled, and the different and most common ways of death.

“It was interesting, and we learned a lot of new things about how they handle bodies and the different ways people die. I learned that the second most common cause of death was suicide in Las Vegas, and I didn’t know that,” said junior law student Sunii Owens.

Junior Viviana Barajas said, “Overall, it was really cool to see everything and learn more about their jobs and what they do at the coroner’s office.”

The students were unable to really see the actual dead bodies, but they still managed to learn tons of different things from this unusual field trip.

About the Writer
Madison Kennedy, Cub Reporter

I love Football and cheer. I do competition cheer myself, but in the future I hope to become a fashion designer.

• News

Improv Club Wins Competition

• A Field Trip for Law… to the Morgue?

News

Newspaper Structures In Principles of Engineering

• A Field Trip for Law… to the Morgue?

News

The Navy’s Visit to A-TECH

• A Field Trip for Law… to the Morgue?

News

New Games and Custom Sprites?

• A Field Trip for Law… to the Morgue?

News

What To Build In The Empty Lot?

• A Field Trip for Law… to the Morgue?

News

New Year, New Mr. Thomsen?

• A Field Trip for Law… to the Morgue?

News

Windows of A-TECH to Get New Clings

• A Field Trip for Law… to the Morgue?

News

ACT Test and Registration

• A Field Trip for Law… to the Morgue?

News

Upcoming Renovations

• A Field Trip for Law… to the Morgue?

News

Advanced Band Festival