Filed under News

A Field Trip for Law… to the Morgue?

“It was actually a really interesting field trip. It definitely wasn’t your typical trip. I really learned a lot and had a cool experience,” said junior Shaskia Garcia, who recently went on a class field trip to the Clark County Coroner’s Office for her trial advocacy class.  

David Eason’s junior law class recently took a field trip to the coroner’s office on Thursday, February 28, 2019. With this trip lasting just about the whole day, the students left for the coroner’s office around 9:00 a.m. and arrived back at school around 1:00 p.m..

Now, if you don’t really know what a coroner’s office, or more commonly, a morgue, is, then here’s a little extra information. The coroner’s office is the place where a body is sent after death to be examined so that a cause of death can be pinpointed.

As law students, this part is essential in criminal cases. Court cases that involve a death need the coroner’s office to determine a cause of death because a lot of the time the cause of death is used to help solve these cases and, eventually, to sentence someone suspected of the crime.

During this trip, students were taught many different things, such as the jobs people have at the coroner’s office, the way the bodies are handled, and the different and most common ways of death.

“It was interesting, and we learned a lot of new things about how they handle bodies and the different ways people die. I learned that the second most common cause of death was suicide in Las Vegas, and I didn’t know that,” said junior law student Sunii Owens.

Junior Viviana Barajas said, “Overall, it was really cool to see everything and learn more about their jobs and what they do at the coroner’s office.”

The students were unable to really see the actual dead bodies, but they still managed to learn tons of different things from this unusual field trip.

About the Writer
Madison Kennedy, Cub Reporter

I love Football and cheer. I do competition cheer myself, but in the future I hope to become a fashion designer.

• A Field Trip for Law… to the Morgue?

News

Building Marble Sorters in Engineering

• A Field Trip for Law… to the Morgue?

News

Houston, We Have A Problem!

• A Field Trip for Law… to the Morgue?

News

University of Nevada Reno Visits Again!

• A Field Trip for Law… to the Morgue?

News

Trial in a Judge’s Court

• A Field Trip for Law… to the Morgue?

News

Online Registration for 2019-2020 Begins

• A Field Trip for Law… to the Morgue?

News

2019 NFL Draft Begins

• A Field Trip for Law… to the Morgue?

News

2019 NBA Playoffs Begin

• A Field Trip for Law… to the Morgue?

News

Bridge Club Wins First Place in National Contest

• A Field Trip for Law… to the Morgue?

News

Speech and Debate Moves to Nationals

• A Field Trip for Law… to the Morgue?

News

The Lion King Trailer is Out!