Sophomores are Strange

Marvel Studios and Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures

Keana-Leoni Balalio, Cub Reporter

I spend a majority of my school day around sophomores, and I will admit that they are the strangest people anyone will ever meet. When people get around the age of 15 or 16, there seems to be a common phase that everyone goes through in which they give off the oddest of vibes. It’s almost as if they are a different species, and it’s not even because I’m merely a freshman.

Sophomores are, in short, older freshmen. It sounds stupid, but one can’t deny that a majority of sophomores still have freshmen-like traits. They’ve had their year to mature, but they have yet to truly develop as individuals of society.

The real world is down the block and around the corner, so the stress hasn’t fully set in, and they haven’t been given a real reason to grow. Sophomore year humor and personality isn’t as crude as it was when they were in freshman year. Essentially, I’ve found that tenth grade is just ninth grade 2.0.

Even though I spend lot of time around them, it’s hard to be completely aware of sophomores. I actually remember when one of my teachers thought there was no sophomores in the class when there are three of them–the same number of seniors in the class.

It was hilarious because the sophomores weren’t even fazed. Tenth graders are, quite literally, in the constant state of existing and trying to to get messed up any more than their current state. It’s probably all of the maturing they’re attempting to do, but in a class of mixed ages, it’s hard to truly notice the sophomores.

Because they’re trying to figure themselves out, a sophomore will be found on one side of the spectrum: either they’re obnoxiously loud or noticeably silent. The former seems contradictory to sophomores just existing, but they’re loud because they want to be noticed. They still have the freshmen quality of trying to be known for something, even it’s annoying for those around them.

For the latter, quiet sophomores, they may go unnoticed, but they’re there, and they’re listening. The soft sophomores know a lot about everyone because, while they go unnoticed, they notice what’s around them. There’s usually a balance in the population of extremes, but it’s rare to meet a sophomore who is balanced by themselves.

The weirdest thing about sophomores is that memories from that year are really fuzzy. There’s nothing particularly memorable about tenth grade. One already knows the school pretty well and there aren’t any sophomore-tailored events. At least in freshman year, everything is new, in junior year, you get to go to the prom, and, in senior year, you graduate. What exactly do sophomores get? They get more options for AP classes and have to take practice versions of standardized tests. I’m totally jealous my older peers and can’t wait until I get to tenth grade.

Sophomores are the strangest high-schoolers. They are a bit scattered and not completely there. They’re cool people to know as long as you can handle their peculiarity. Besides, everyone is a sophomore at one point. Some are just stranger than others.