Q&A With Keith Thomsen

Sit back and learn some extraordinary facts about A-TECH’s one and only Student Council and English 9 teacher: Keith Thomsen.

How is your first year of being a Student Council teacher?

“It’s been great. I started halfway through last year, so this is my first full year, and it’s been awesome. The kids have been fantastic and I am really glad to have them. They have been a huge help.”

What inspired you to become a teacher?

“I’ve always wanted to be a teacher, even when I was in high school. One of the big reasons is I’ve wanted to do something that I thought would help and would matter to other people. I didn’t always have the best teachers when I was in school, and I wanted to try to be a little better than they were.”

What is a hobby/unique thing about yourself?

“I draw, I write books, [have] several comics published, two books that I published, [and] the third one is on its way.”

What are some of the books you wrote?

“It’s a trilogy called Hunter’s Tale. The first book is called Finding Angels, the second one is called Finding Gods, and the third one is Finding Death. All of the books are one story separated into three parts and it’s all action and adventure, fist fights, monsters, and all that fun stuff.”

What is the least favorite thing about being a teacher?

“Grading. I don’t really like grading. It’s like your homework times ten. It just never stops, it keeps coming because I can’t do any of it in class, so I have to do all of it on my own time.”

When you were younger, what did you want to be?

“To be honest with you, I always wanted to be a teacher like as far as back as I can remember. I like to find more success for my books as well because I always wanted to be an author too.”

How many years have you been a teacher?

“This is my 9th year, so I guess at this point 8 and a half years. I was a substitute for 2 years before that though.”

How was your experience of being a substitute?

“I’ve enjoyed it. I had the privilege of working with some very good administrators and some good teachers, and I had great students so I have enjoyed my job.”

What influence do you want to be towards the students?

“I kinda hope to be a positive one and make sure that everyone learns something, is prepared for the future, and hopefully has a good time, but mostly the first two.”

Fun Facts

What’s your favorite color?

Blue.

What is your biggest pet peeve?

“People who walk slowly in front of me.”

Favorite animal?

Dogs.

Favorite show at the moment?

“I’m watching the Orville on Fox. It’s some good old fashion star trek science fiction.”

Favorite artist?

“I don’t really have one.”

Favorite book?

American Gods by Neil Gaiman.

Favorite food?

“Good curry. It has to be some good curry.”