Filed under Features

Stress, Sloth, and Scholarships: How to Survive Senior Year

Seniors struggling every year (1989, black and white)

Kahlin Lindholm

Kahlin Lindholm

Kahlin Lindholm

A dreaded time is coming for every person who enters into high school. A time of pain, of suffering, of woe and despair. Every individual who intends to graduate from high school must make their pilgrimage, as hundreds of thousands before them have, through the valley of shadow, the desolate plains of agony.

Senior year.

And though many have made their way through this nightmare, the struggle remains. Every generation of juniors come into their senior year totally unprepared for what awaits them. Existential crises, unprecedented stress, social anxiety, and far more.

This article is for you, soon-to-be-seniors. This article is all about how to survive senior year.

First things first: yes, this will be your last year in high school (assuming you don’t ignore these ideas and fail this year — not a recommended course of action). This does not, however, mean you are invincible. Most colleges look to your junior year grades in determining your qualifications for attending classes on their campus, but that doesn’t mean they entirely ignore your other years’ scores.

GPA is a summative score; in other words, all of your high school years will factor into your GPA, weighted or not. If you aren’t happy with your current GPA, senior year will be your chance to bump things into high gear, even if you’d rather just relax and ride out your last year of high school.

It is entirely understandable if you feel as though you’ve done your work, you’ve made it through the nightmare that is junior year, and that you deserve to chill and do nothing. But as I mentioned previously, senior year is just as important in many aspects as the other years of high school. Perhaps take some easier classes that you’ll be able to boost your grade with, but aside from this, if you’re taking time away from school, use the time gained to promote an easier time in college.

Something else to keep in mind: senior year is all about colleges and scholarships. Junior year may be about finding out where you want to go, but senior year is about applying and making sure you can get there.

By far the best way to stay on track with this is through the aid of academic counselors and Sherry Moore, the college and career specialist here at A-TECH.

The counselors want you to go to college and will give you the information and advice you need to be able to get your head on straight and get on track early. Early on in the year, expect to receive packets of information in regards to scholarship websites, due dates for scholarships, scholarship opportunities, and much more. Several workshops will be held throughout the year to give further detail as to what you need to be doing to stay on task at any given moment.

Alongside this, Moore is an absolute godsend when it comes to tracking down specific scholarships and contacts that will aid you in your endeavors. She has ample amounts of brochures, business cards, info for college workshops and important contacts, and so much more readily available to help you get to where you want to go.

Use the resources available to you. They want to help you — you just need to let them.

Another big aspect of senior year is the Senior Capstone Project. Everyone has to do it, everyone hates it, and that’s okay. The best thing to do is to find something you truly love doing to work on for your project; this may be harder than you expect, but a majority of teachers are willing to bend the rules just a bit to let you find something more comfortable to work on.

Start thinking now about what it is you might want to do because scrambling at the last minute will be nothing but detrimental to you.

Finally, and most importantly: have fun. Make time for fun, to relax and de-stress. Every year, you can see the senior class lumber about the school, hollow shells comprised entirely of stress, anxiety, and concerning levels of caffeine.

Take the time now to find a hobby that helps you relax or puts you into a positive mindset. Senior year is stressful, but it doesn’t have to be the death of you.

So, in short, to everyone who reads this article: stress about grades but only so far as keeping them up. Use every resource given to you — not doing so is only harming you. Plan ahead, but don’t sweat the small stuff.

And have fun. You’re almost out of here.

About the Contributor
Kahlin Lindholm, Cub Reporter

I’ve been working on a book series for the last nine years, and all the while have been brainstorming, writing, and rewriting every minute detail. I’m...

• Features

Teachers Using the ACT Word of the Week: “Laud”

• Stress, Sloth, and Scholarships: How to Survive Senior Year

Features

An Alternative to Microsoft Windows

Features

Q&A With Keith Thomsen

Features

Different Types of Laughs

Features

Guide to Finding your Valentine

Features

A-TECH Reacts to Sasuke Choking meme

A&E

The Not-So Super Bowl

Features

“Authentic” Tacos or Fast Food Tacos?

Features

Stressed Out: Class of 2021 Edition

Features

Deadliest Challenges to Ever Exist