Architecture Students Create Floor Plans

Floor plan on CADD program

Floor plan on CADD program

Diego Vega

Floor plan on CADD program

Diego Vega

Diego Vega

Floor plan on CADD program

For the past two weeks, students within the Architectural Design I class have been working on floor plans. These students have been, through the year, designing multiple things within walls and houses, but now, they are finally on the floor.

They started by sketching the features of a house and also by sketching the floor plans. They used different pieces of paper to plan out the sizes of the floors, making the house with only the base. The students then created their floor plans onto CADD to make blueprints. The students had done this many times with the house plans and the wall plans, combining all their skills to plan for almost an entire house.

Sophomore Diego Vega said, “This assignment was pretty much like the wall plans we did a couple months ago, so it was pretty easy. If you then combine these plans with the wall plans and house plans we almost have enough plans to create a whole house”

Diego Vega

Diego Vega

The students started by creating the plans for the features of the house (for example, the doors, windows, and garages). These were all key features because they needed leave an opening where there would be a floor.

Sophomore Broderick Putman said, “The new part of the assignment was using the different sizes of paper to show the different sizes of floor. This new way of planning helped me create the image of the floor in my head.”

Students put the floor sizes on the papers, making them almost to scale in a smaller version.

Sophomore Justus Jenkins said. “It’s always cool to put things into CADD because it’s almost as I’m creating a blueprint that is going to be used in a later date.”