Filed under News

A-TECH and 54 Other CCSD Schools Losing Millions of Dollars Next Year

Starting in the 2019-2020 school year, 55 Title I Clark County School District schools, including A-TECH, will lose thousands of dollars.

A-TECH is losing $120,750 in funding. New CCSD Superintendent Jesus Jara made the change in funding to help schools with the highest number of low-income students.

“We won’t be getting Title One funding because A-TECH is a tier [three] school where there happens to be just a little bit of poverty,” Ariana Boorboor, student representative on the A-TECH School Organization Team (SOT), said.

Title I funds, which are given to schools with a high percentage of students in poverty, were previously distributed in CCSD to schools where a minimum 40% of the kids qualified for FRL (Free or Reduced Lunch). Title I is a federal education law that dispenses funding to elementary and secondary schools for programs, activities, and services to help economically disadvantaged students obtain the ability to succeed. Title I helps guarantee that all students have an equal opportunity at school.

With Superintendent Jara’s arrival, Title I funds are being distributed differently in CCSD. The district is now granting money to it’s most impoverished schools only. With the new threshold set at 60%, A-TECH no longer qualifies for Title I funding.  A-TECH has 46.46% of students who have signed up to receive FRL.

“We have kids that qualify for FRL who are Title I students, but because we didn’t meet a threshold of 60% or more, we lose all Title I funding,” Jeff Hinton, SOT faculty representative, said.

The impact of losing Title I funding means fewer A-TECH teachers and staff.

“It’s going to impact staffing, it could result in larger class sizes, and obviously we can’t do new and innovative things when we’re cutting budgets,” Hinton continued.

The cuts were confirmed by Principal Jonathan Synold.

“We are going to be losing approximately one and a half teaching positions to make up the difference. We also have to look at other resources we use and reduce some of those positions as well,” Synold said.

A-TECH has a plan to overcome the cuts made by the loss of Title I funding.

“We are going to take out P.E. [advisor] Mr. Schaper. He’s retiring at the end of the year, so we are going to reduce from three P.E. teachers to two,” Synold said.

Overall, the situation could have been worse, but is not due to Synold’s planning.

“He’s very fiscally responsible and when you look at the budget, he has money left over from last year that he moves in to the account, and that helps,” Victoria Lindemann, the other SOT faculty representative, mentioned.

The school may not be able to address the funding cuts for the upcoming school year, but A-TECH can work together to encourage students to apply for the assistance that is here to help. If A-TECH comes up with ways to get information out to students about the many benefits of Title I funding, the school can determine if we are truly servicing all our students who may be in need.

If that number supports the superintendent’s plan for who gets help, then that will increase the budget for our school and give opportunities to support students. Regardless what the true number is, Mr. Synold said it best: “A-TECH will be okay.”

• A-TECH and 54 Other CCSD Schools Losing Millions of Dollars Next Year

News

BSU Assembly for Black History Month

News

Business Management II Simulations

News

Architecture Students Create Floor Plans

News

Results for CyberPatriot Competition

News

Matchmaker

• News

The Public Education Foundation Scholarship Extensions

News

BSU Valentine Grams

News

Counselor Appreciation Week

News

National History Day Project in U.S. History

News

BGC T-Shirt Contest