(Mr. Stridde as prom king his senior)
(Mr. Stridde as prom king his senior)

Senior Memories

May 16, 2016

Before we graced the halls of A-TECH, our teachers had to be right where we are, in high school. Some of A-TECH’s teachers had some wild rides in their high school years before influencing our lives.

(Mr. Eason at his prom with his first girlfriend)

One of A-TECH’s law teachers, Mr. Eason, who is known for his law play project, had his own run in with drama his senior year.

EASON

“I had the lead in the school play in our senior year. The play was ‘Our Town’ by Thornton Wilder. I was George, I married Emily. Emily has a premature death. In the closing scene, George is at the cemetery kneeling at Emily’s grave.

With a full auditorium, my false sobbing stops, and I began laughing uncontrollably. I could not stop. Ruined the whole play. Unforgettable,” said Mr. Eason.

DICKSON

We petitioned administration to do an assembly schedule and allow us to perform a concert for the student body at the end of the day.”

— Mr.Dickson

Probably something most of the school population doesn’t know, Mr. Dickson, the A-TECH physics and robotics teacher, was in a band during high school.

“One of my senior memories is the final day of regular classes. We petitioned administration to do an assembly schedule and allow us to perform a concert for the student body at the end of the day. I was in a rock band (drummer) and we played Aerosmith, Alice Cooper, and Santana. It was so much fun!”

(Mr.Dickson did not have any photos)

HENDERSON

Mr. Henderson, world history and history of pop music teacher, was a senior in the year 1975. He graduated in his home town of Punta Gorda Florida.

(Mr. Henderson, 1975)

“Growing up in southern Florida, it was popular and very common for us in high school to camp out on the beaches of the Gulf of Mexico in out of the way places. One weekend in 1974 (I think), three friends (Bob, Jeff, and Gary) and I went camping.

We had built up a nice fire that night and did the obligatory hotdog roasting and things that went with teenagers, beaches, and camping. When we woke up the next morning we decided to go for a swim. It was a perfect day in Southwest Florida.

(Mr. Henderson’s High school, 1975)
(Mr. Henderson’s High school, 1975)

While shopping for food for the trip, I had purchased a small canned ham.

As we ran for the water I decided to warm up the ham by tossing it in the coals of last nights fire.

When we finished swimming and were rummaging around looking for food, I noticed that the canned ham was dangerously expanding to bursting levels.

So after absolutely no thought process, I grabbed a claw hammer we used to bang the tent stakes [in] and hit the can.”

— Mr.Henderson

\

As teenagers are known for their deep consideration before acting, I immediately decided that I needed to release the pressure. So after absolutely no thought process, I grabbed a claw hammer we used to bang the tent stakes [in] and hit the can.

Hot ham juice proceeded to spray all over us and we decided to run around screaming in pain.” said Mr. Henderson.

PELTZ

For Mr. Peltz’s, chemistry and physics teacher, high school offered a unique experience for its seniors.

“I went to a small high school in Colorado so it allowed for a lot of flexibility in terms of scheduling for classes. Each year the seniors finished their exams a couple days before graduation. Students still needed to attend school, so the senior teachers would offer special activities for the seniors.

Students still needed to attend school, so the senior teachers would offer special activities for the seniors.”

— Mr. Peltz

We would sign up for sessions in hiking, pottery, archery, horseback riding, bowling, cycling, car repair, swimming, and other activities that the teachers did as hobbies. It was like going to summer camp for two days and it gave us a chance to see the teachers outside of the classroom. I still have memories of horseback riding in the mountains and swimming with some of my friends for the last time before going our separate ways,” said Mr. Peltz.

(Mr. Peltz did not have any photos)

MAYO

(Mr. Mayo in his senior yearbook)

“I went to Pleasant Grove High School in Utah. Everyday I would go to school and count the number of swear words that I heard. It was between 100-200 everyday.

A great teacher taught me that if I didn’t stand up for what was right, then I was like agreeing with whatever negative behavior was taking place.

I decided from that point on to organize the “No Swear Club.”

There were two reactions: “Blep, blep, blep who do you think you are,” or “I am so sorry I didn’t know it offended you.””

— Mr. Mayo

(Response to Mr. Mayo’s No Swear Club)
(Response to Mr. Mayo’s No Swear Club)

In two weeks time I had 200 members.

To become a member, you promised not to swear yourself and then when you heard others swear, [you had] to nicely ask them to stop. There were two re

actions: Blep, blep, blep who do you think you are, or I am so sorry I didn’t know it offended you. I went from 100-200 swear words a day to 1 or 2.

I love reading my yearbook where people mention how the “No Swear Club” made a difference for them. Each of you can make a difference when you stand up for what you believe in,” said Mr. Mayo, computer science teacher.

ZIEGLER

As a high school student, Ms. Ziegler, who teaches English and AP Literature, learned some important lessons about herself as a person.

The positive memories are part of why I am a teacher today. ”

— Ms. Ziegler

“I had a wonderful experience in high school; the positive memories are part of why I am a teacher today. I was privileged to attend both Girls Nation and the William Randolph Hurst Senate Youth Program, both of which were in Washington D.C. Honestly, I believe that these two experiences taught me, among other things, that I am NOT cut out for politics,” said Ms. Ziegler about her school life.

(Ms. Ziegler did not provide a photo)

Stridde

A-TECH’s favorite health teacher had a senior experience not many would assume he had. Mr. Stridde was in a play his senior year.

“Mostly I was the dumb jock that lettered in 3 sports each year, didn’t really focus much on academics, and as long as I didn’t get D’s or F’s, my parents didn’t get on my back very much. Maybe if they did I would have made med school; probably not though. I really loved high school, all 7 years of it, especially lunch and study hall.

(Mr. Stridde at a swim meet his senior year)

My senior year I made the mistake of trying out for the HS play, the Diary of Anne Frank, I was Mr. Kraler, a small part, probably 20 lines altogether. But memory was an important part of being in a play. My memory was pretty well waterlogged by my senior year.

(Mr. Stridde as prom king his senior)
(Mr. Stridde as prom king his senior)

I don’t have a lot of memories from the actual performances, probably a good thing, but I know I messed up more than anyone else in the cast. From the end of the play till graduation, 4 months later, I was known as Mr. Kraler. On our 20th year reunion I was still Mr. Kraler. From all the fun things in HS, the play was the most fun, even though I’m sure I wasn’t very good,” said Mr. Stridde.

One aspect of school is the fact that students see teachers as these beings that are baffling and inhuman.

However, this overall opinion seems incorrect and it appears A-TECH’s teachers are just as human as we are.

Maverick Pulse • Copyright 2020 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in