Filed under News

Passive Solar Cooling

Passive Solar Cooling

Diego Vega

Diego Vega

Diego Vega

With winter break over, architecture instructor Rose Coe’s students are back on the drawing board.

Their first assignment since coming back is an engineering project on solar cooling. Students are to build and insulate a paper house with a variety of household materials.

The students chose their insulation materials based on their own ideas, and these materials ranged from paper to tape to cotton balls. At the conclusion of the unit, the students will be tested via competition, in which it will be determined which student’s design is most effective.

“I used shade trees, attic insulation, and a radiant barrier. My house was a little messy designed, but I think I have a chance to place high in 4th period. This assignment was pretty easy as we’ve designed houses before and talked bout insulation this was just installing it,” sophomore Diego Vega said.

Shade trees are just trees, an attic roof is a roof to keep the house insulated, and the radiant barrier is aluminum foil to act as a barrier.

“My house was really well designed and I think I have a chance to win my competition in 4th period. Most of our houses had the same insulators, but they were all different designs, so I’m excited to see what kind of designs I’ll see,”  sophomore Broderick Putman said.

“This assignment felt like a review because we’ve used all there techniques already in different assignment and we were almost combining them for a fun competition. I didn’t put much things within my house, so I don’t expect to place high,” sophomore Justus Jenkins said.

These insulated houses all are planned to be tested on Friday, January 11th, and will show whose design wins and who has the best insulation.

About the Writer
Scott Wolkenhauer, Cub Reporter

I’m a student athlete and I play football, I wrestle, and I run track. Some things I like are sports, video games, and anime. My hopes are to excel in...

• Passive Solar Cooling

News

Speech and Debate Moves to Nationals

• Passive Solar Cooling

News

The Lion King Trailer is Out!

• Passive Solar Cooling

News

Fun Assembly at A-TECH

• News

Boyd Law School Field Trip

• Passive Solar Cooling

News

Movie Night with Mavericks

• News

Recyclable Electronics

• Passive Solar Cooling

News

Innocent or Guilty

• Passive Solar Cooling

News

Students Encouraged to Attend College and Career Fair

• Passive Solar Cooling

News

The FUN Assembly

• Passive Solar Cooling

News

Digital Game Development I’s First Games