Filed under Opinion

You Don’t Need All Those AP Classes, Though…

Pedro Figueras

Pedro Figueras

Pedro Figueras

As a senior who has already contracted senioritis, I’ve had some time to reflect and actualize myself. In these past four years, I’ve had a lot of regrets and some happiness here and there, but what probably would have generated more happiness is if I took fewer AP classes.

I have taken AP classes every year of high school, and this year, I’m taking six, the most I’ve ever had. Through my experiences in AP classes and from what I have learned through my friends’ experiences, I have come to the following conclusion displayed in graph form.

As you can see, the more AP classes you take, the fewer hours of sleep you get every night.

The primary reason I took so many AP classes is because of the college credit that many colleges offer for receiving certain scores on AP exams. However, I soon learned that many of these credits are completely unnecessary as they are used as elective credits — elective credits you would have already gotten from completing your degree.

A lot of students take AP classes because they have aspirations to go to a top 20 college, but the problem here is that the vast majority of these students will not make it (and they probably shouldn’t). Georgetown University is one that many A-TECH students aspire to attend, and it had a 16% acceptance rate in Fall of 2017. It will only get lower as more and more students apply to a dozen colleges for their name value and not for their fitness.

Nevada is not exactly a paragon of higher education (or education at all, really), but there are many reasonable, inexpensive options here for hard-working students that can sometimes even get you just as good of an education as those top 20 colleges. And you don’t need a dozen AP classes for these options.

If you’re still a freshman or sophomore, the best thing you can do now is to make friends with juniors and seniors who will tell you what you’re doing right and what you’re doing wrong. Don’t make the same mistakes thousands of students make every year. You don’t need all those AP classes.

About the Writer
Jason Park, Senior Editor

The Granddad of the Maverick Pulse

• You Don’t Need All Those AP Classes, Though…

Opinion

Government Shutdown: Why It Is Important

Opinion

The Senior Capstone Project: Flawed, but Fixable

Opinion

The Treble Cleft: An Opinion Piece

Opinion

Are Drake and Nicki Beefing?

• Opinion

The Flaws in Our “Justice” System

• Opinion

College Football Bowl Game Previews

Opinion

Is Fortnite Dying?

• Opinion

Presents a Problem or Not?

• Opinion

So Avengers: Endgame is a Thing

Opinion

What’s Up There, Munchkin?