Filed under Opinion

Are Drake and Nicki Beefing?

flickr

Dear Internet,

I have some important news. Yes, it is true. On the 6th of December, our favorite couple who’s not a couple, officially unfollowed each other on Instagram and I am crying my eyes out. Oh wait, are Drake and Nicki Minaj only my favorite? Whoops…

Now, you might be thinking “It’s just an unfollow, it’s not the end of the world. Maybe they’re still friends?” Let me tell you, when celebrities unfollow each other on social media, it’s serious.

There is no question that Nicki and Drake go way back. Throwback to when Tik Tok by Ke$ha was #1 in Billboards Hot 100 and the year where a decent president was actually in office… You guessed right, I’m talking about 2010.

On June 15, 2010, Drake and Nicki Minaj released their first ever collaboration called “Up All Night” on one of Drake’s earlier albums, Thank Me Later.

Since then, the pair have constantly been dropping bops.

Nicki dropped her album “Queen” back in August. Queen was Nicki’s first ever album in which Drake wasn’t featured nor mentioned. The moment that Queen dropped, I was expecting a collab with Drake that I could turn up with, but when I realized there was absolutely no Drake, I nearly yelled.

There are many speculations to why the two have separated, but no need to worry because I am about to “spill the tea sis.” 😉

Anyways, let me give you the facts that lead up to this “beef.”

flickr

Exhibit A: Young Money.

In the year of 2009, Dwayne Michael Carter Jr., aka Lil Wayne, signed both Nicki and Drake to his record label, Young Money. However, three years later Drake left Young Money to create his own record label, OVO Sound, shorten for October’s Very Own.

You know that feeling when your friend is better than you at something and of course you’re happy for them, but you’re lowkey salty about it? Yeah, that’s basically how Nicki felt.

flickr

Exhibit B: Astroworld.

Basic background: Travis Scott dropped Astroworld on August 3rd, and a week later, Nick Minaj released her most recent album, Queen. Talk about bad timing…

Quickly Travis’ album rised to take Billboard’s spot as #1 album of the country and Nicki wasn’t having it.

When Cardi B’s “Bodak Yellow” dethroned Taylor Swift from #1 spot on Billboard’s Hot 100, Swift went out of her way to congratulate Cardi on her achievement by sending her a large bouquet of pink flowers.

However, this isn’t the case with Nicki and Travis. Once receiving upsetting news, Nicki took to Twitter to rant about her anger about the unfairness of the fact that Astroworld had the No. 1 spot, and not Queen.

One of her most popular tweets regarding Travis said, “I put my blood sweat and tears in writing a dope album only for Travis Scott to have Kylie Jenner post a tour pass telling ppl to come see her & Stormi. lol. Im actually laughing.”

What does this have to do with Drake? Besides the fact that the most popular song in the entire album, Sicko Mode, is a collab with Drake!

Y’all don’t get it, jealousy and envy are real.

Three words: Nicki was salty.

flickr

Exhibit C: Meek Mill.

Meek Mill and Drake had beef, it’s not news. They were both very blunt about their feelings towards each other in several tweets and diss tracks like “Back to Back” and “Charged Up.”

A few weeks ago, I was scrolling through my Instagram feed and came across a post from a Drake fan account which had claimed that Meek Mill was featuring Drake on his upcoming album “Championships.” I read this, and I was 99.9% sure that this post was fake news, but that 0.01% lingered around in my head which lead to me spending HOURS on Google.

Y’all, I WAS SHOOK. This rumor was confirmed true and a few days later Meek and Drake dropped a song together named “Going Bad” which proved that the two rappers have officially squashed their beef.

Yeah, yeah, that’s all good news or whatever, but let’s talk about how this might have hurt Nicki.

Once upon a time, Meek Mill and Nicki Minaj were official a couple. Their romantic relationship lasted over two years before Nicki announced their split in the start of 2017.

Do you know how messed up it is to befriend your best friend’s ex? Talk about AWKWARD… I can almost assure you that Drake and Meek becoming friends had something to do with the fact that Nicki has obviously distanced herself from Drake, if not dropped him completely.

Contrary to all the tea listed above, I sincerely pray I am wrong. Drake and Nicki Minaj were very close friends for so many years, they both have supported each other through the good and the bad times, and it would be such a shame to end that friendship over a small issue.

My verdict is, even if Drake and Nicki aren’t “beefing,” they surely are going through a rough patch and they need to talk it about, forgive each other, and drop more music that’s nothing but straight fire.

Please, and thank you, your #1 shipper (#Dricki),

Brenda Vargas <3

About the Writer
Brenda Vargas, Cub Reporter

“I love myself even though I look like a BURNT chicken nugget.”

• Are Drake and Nicki Beefing?

Opinion

Best Cute Mobile Games

• Are Drake and Nicki Beefing?

Features

The Aladdin Trailer Is Looking… Interesting

• Are Drake and Nicki Beefing?

Features

Frozen 2 is One Dramatic Movie

• Are Drake and Nicki Beefing?

Opinion

Why Superhero Movies Are Overrated?

• Are Drake and Nicki Beefing?

Opinion

The Nevada School System’s Lack of Suicidal Prevention Education

• Are Drake and Nicki Beefing?

Opinion

bury a friend Song Review

• Are Drake and Nicki Beefing?

Opinion

Why Freshman Tend To Be Outcasts

• Are Drake and Nicki Beefing?

Opinion

Unpopular Opinions

• Are Drake and Nicki Beefing?

Features

DEFCON 1 REVIEWS: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

• Opinion

What Really Matters In A Person