A-TECH’s Thoughts on a Family Support System

Idan Malka

Freshman Idan Malka’s family

Family is said to be important, but not everyone has a stable home life. Is it really important to have a strong family support system? Listen to what the students of A-TECH have to say.

“A family support system is the basis of who you are. If you don’t have a good family, you’re not gonna turn out to be a good person,” said freshman Idan Malka.

Malka’s thoughts were great, but sophomore Maya Akcar really goes in depth with her opinion on a family support system.

“Family support is really important for your mental health because imagine your parents disapproving of you and your grades and pushing you too hard. It can really mess with someone’s mental health, but if you’re encouraged [by your parents], it’s easier.”

It is true. Support from a family can have a severe impact in your mental and emotional health, as well as stress like senior Sophia Chongtai mentions.

“If you’re a student a lot of stresses from life, school and things outside of school, your home should be a safe haven, and a place where you can deflate. If you have to constantly fight your family, or if you feel like they’re never there for you, it’s just very draining.”

In Chongtai’s response, she discussed the concept that a family support system should be a sanctuary to build up strength, confidence, and relieve stress whereas a chaotic environment which is similar to what junior Amanda Page’s beliefs.

“[A strong family support system] will encourage a student to do better, and are more likely to achieve their goals. If someone has family who isn’t supportive, then the child isn’t going to want to do anything and they’re not going to want to pursue anything in the future.” 

In addition to the responses above, junior David Fleisher thinks that in order to achieve a successful family support system, communication and respect are key.

“A good support system is nice, but there needs to be some tough love too. In a good support system there should be open communication, but teenagers shouldn’t be treated like little kids.”