Verizon Visits A-TECH!

Mike Mozart on Flickr

On November 8th, four Verizon employees visited classrooms and each delivered a short speech to the students about what they do and what Verizon does. Verizon is the largest cell phone provider in the United States and is one of the leading companies in technology.

The Verizon employees were there for a program called Verizon Innovative Learning. The goal of the program is to help give underfunded and under-resourced students a good education, which includes free technology, free internet access, and a hands-on learning experience.

“What I do is I go to different businesses and I talk to them about Verizon and how I can help their businesses and, of course, make money,” said Maria Rovia Del Rosario, one of the volunteers.

Del Rosario first spoke in computer science teacher Sam Winn’s room.

Students also interacted with Del Rosario’s speech in Winn’s room, asking questions and commenting. One student even commented how they resell shoes as a pastime.

“We have budding entrepreneurs here, so basically, that’s what I’m here for: is to help guide you guys on whatever field you might want to be interested in,” Del Rosario stated. “So pretty much, Verizon is a great company to just get into or intern at after college. We’re all diverse, and we can help you out in terms in getting a career.”

Del Rosario also talked about what skills you have to have to work in her career and what she does. One of the things she even said is how she works ‘in the field,’ knocking on doors and calling customers to ask for meetings about how she could help them as a business.

“[To work in my field], you have to be patient,” said Del Rosario. “You also need to be really good at math because what we do is we calculate a lot of numbers for businesses, and also, one thing is time management.”