Filed under News

Speech and Debate On A Roll

Speech and Debate On A Roll

geralt on pixabay

geralt on pixabay

geralt on pixabay

On November 9th and 10th, the Speech Team participated at the National Individual Event Tournament of Champions at Foothill High School. This tournament helped to decide whether participants qualify for the Tournament of Champions by placing at a certain point.

Ariana Boorboor, a junior in the class, felt she was somewhat prepared for this tournament.

“I would [have felt] a lot better if I memorized and actually prepared, but in foreign exempt I [felt] pretty prepared for. Just oratory [is what I should have practiced].”

As Boorboor felt there was an event she could have better prepared for, junior Christopher Hollenbeck felt the same way to a certain degree.

“I [felt] alright, I [wasn’t] that confident because I don’t do speech very much but I [was] doing it more for fun than to win,” said Hollenbeck.

As some students felt okay heading into the tournament, there was some reinsurance from their 1st place win the previous week.

At NWCTA, the Debate Team took 1st place in Large School Sweepstakes. This was a phenomenal win for the team as this was their first 1st place win in Speech and Debate history. Their reactions to the win was one of happiness.

“We were so ecstatic, it was very exciting. We couldn’t believe it to be honest,” said junior Yaseen Shaw.

“It felt amazing, we started screaming. Everyone in the room was like ‘Uhhhh.’ It was really awkward, cause everyone was sitting down so calm and then we were screaming at the top of our lungs,” stated freshman Matthew Vogel.

As the 1st place win was one for the books, the Speech Team hopes it gave them enough momentum to perform well at their tournament.

About the Writer
James Cervantes-Smith, Cub Reporter

Hello, my name is James Cervantes-Smith and I am a Junior at Advanced Technologies Academy. This is my first year in Journalism and I am very excited to...

• Speech and Debate On A Roll

News

Speech and Debate Moves to Nationals

• Speech and Debate On A Roll

News

The Lion King Trailer is Out!

• Speech and Debate On A Roll

News

Fun Assembly at A-TECH

• News

Boyd Law School Field Trip

• Speech and Debate On A Roll

News

Movie Night with Mavericks

• News

Recyclable Electronics

• Speech and Debate On A Roll

News

Innocent or Guilty

• Speech and Debate On A Roll

News

Students Encouraged to Attend College and Career Fair

• Speech and Debate On A Roll

News

The FUN Assembly

• Speech and Debate On A Roll

News

Digital Game Development I’s First Games