Filed under News

Movie Poster Madness

To better their technique in merging images using Photoshop and Illustrator and applying their learning process in real life, Kelly Charles and Lucas Gearhart’s Graphic Design II students are creating movie posters this week.

Charles said, “This project helps them to… get accustomed to working with clients. This was actually a UNLV project. We didn’t used to switch, but a graphic design student from there came back and told us about it.”

There was quite a bit to go into the project in its entirety.

“[The students] used either flat graphics or photo integration. They also could’ve used Adobe Swatch, to get some color swatches for the posters, and we downloaded the credit font, you know, for director and actors,” said Gearhart.

Students were able to create their posters by using either Illustrator, drawing software, Photoshop, or other Adobe software.

Cassie Garcelon, a sophomore in Gearhart’s class said, “A lot of [the project] is photo blending… taking a bunch of different photos and combining them into one single project… and the other part of it is, if you’re drawing, rendering the drawing and the composition of the poster.”

Students didn’t just use Photoshop to get their work done, though.

“Most people use Photoshop because it’s the best, but we also use Illustrator because… the way it handles photos is different from Photoshop, so you can often make things that are higher quality in Illustrator, but people will prefer to use Photoshop because it’s easier to use,” Garcelon continued. 

Another sophomore in Charles’s class, Evelyn Choi said, “What we’re doing right now is a movie poster, and… everyone in the class had a movie poster idea, but, instead of doing our own, we exchanged with someone randomly, and we do their movie poster, so they’re like our client, and, then, someone is the producer.”

With this change, Choi now has to make a movie poster centered around the World War II era with added elements of cyborgs, zombies, and horror.

“For me, I’m drawing [the poster] because, personally, I don’t think I’m going to find anything that will be like a real life picture that will fit that I can merge together, but because I know my drawing capabilities are good enough [so] I’m going to draw it out. Since I’m drawing it, the rendering process of drawing… it’s a little more tedious because you have the background you have special effects you want to do, and I want it to be on the.. little more…  realistic side, and since it’s a horror movie you gotta make it pretty scary,” said Choi.

About the Writer
Keana-Leoni Balalio, Cub Reporter

The glass is half-full and half-empty. I'm just living a life, trying not to get killed... or worse… expelled.