Advanced Amusement Park Fun

This week, seniors in Advanced Studies Graphics Design will begin their final project of the quarter, where they will experiment with new tools and concepts to create their very own theme park map.

Teacher Lucas Gearhart introduced the project to students at the beginning of this week, and they are given the rest of this quarter to put everything together.

Gearhart said, “Students will learn industry-based techniques related to layout design, paneling, typography, and color theory.”

He is prepared to show examples of both flat and three dimensional park designs, including a Disneyland™ 3-D engineering pop-up map to help his students complete their work.

Senior Ricque Calzada said, “I think the most complicated thing is that we haven’t done anything like this before. No one I know, including myself, has used the pen tool in over a year, and that was for the the Belker’s car project, so that’s going to be a challenge to basically learn it all over again, but it should be quick. It’s more the layout that I feel like I, and most other students, will struggle with.”

Other students didn’t think the projects was so complicated.

“This seems like a simple project. Within the moment the project was assigned, I had already begun and made a sketch and layout,” said senior Jeremias DeJesus, “The hard part of the assignment is coming up with a gimmick or theme for the park. It’s kinda like playing with Play-Doh, you really don’t know what you want it to look like, and yet, there are so many things you can do with it.”

Students will have the freedom to come up with any theme they would like.